Wednesday, June 13, 2012

I did it!

There are some wonderful photos of finished pieces on the web... My favourite ones are those small designs with an old, battered look, the ones that seem to have been largely used in their time, and have next been hidden for a century in some dusty drawer. I know some clever stitcher have finished them only a few weeks ago, and that the little masterpiece has then been dyed, stained, and treated in all possible ways to gain the "right" look. Nevertheless, I still look at them in awe and cannot help thinking how beautifully old they look.


Mi perdo sempre a guardare le foto dei ricami sul web... I miei preferiti sono le piccole creazioni dall'aria antica, un po' rovinata, quelli che sembrano essere stati usati per anni, e poi dimenticati per un secolo in qualche cassetto polveroso. So che in realtà sono oggettini che qualche brava ricamatrice ha finito solo qualche settimana fa, e che ha poi pazientemente tinto, macchiato, e trattato in tutti i modi possibili per garantire il giusto look. Lo so, eppure continuo a guardarli con l'ammirazione che si prova per qualcosa di storico...


So last night, I decided I would try to work the spell myself and create my very own piece of ancient embroidery, LOL
I charted a small flower design, inspired from an old sampler I saw in a magazine, stitched it in silk on a scrap of coarse linen. Backed it with some small cuts of fabric I had in my box: the sort of little stripes I had never expected I would be able to use, but could not force myself to bin! And added a little crochet flower, some buttons and other 'low cost' embellishments...
And finally, I did it, I voluntarily stained my stitching by pouring coffee all over it... It felt bad, scary, my beautiful white linen, and that brilliant silk... For good measure, I even added a bit of coffee powder and creased the linen a bit, to make sure stains would look right!
And I waited...! One day later, a bit of wadding and I adore my new old pin-keep. I could probably have stained it a bit more, but for a first attempt at "ageing" stitching I feel really proud of myself!!


back

front

Così, l'altra sera ho deciso di provare anch'io a fare la magia... crearmi il mio pezzettino di ricamo antico, LOL!
Ho tracciato lo schema di un piccolo disegno floreale, ispirato da un vecchio sampler riportato su una rivista, e l'ho ricamato in seta su un pezzetto di lino a trama larga. L'ho completato con un collage di avanzi di stoffa che avevo da parte: il genere di strisciolina che mai avrei pensato di usare ma che non mi decidevo a buttare! Ho aggiunto un fiorellino all'uncinetto, qualche bottone e altri decori 'low cost' ...
E alla fine, l'ho fatto, ho deliberatamente macchiato il mio ricamo rovesciandoci su il caffè... E' stato terribile, il mio bel lino bianco e la seta luccicante... E già che c'ero, ho aggiunto anche un po' di polvere di caffè e stropicciato per bene il lino, per avere proprio delle "belle" macchie!
E ho aspettato...! Il giorno dopo, un po' di imbottitura e sono felicissima del mio nuovo vecchio puntaspilli! Forse lo avrei potuto macchiare di più, ma come primo tentativo di "invecchiamento" del ricamo, mi giudico soddisfatta!



1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! It looks like it's from your great-great grandmother!

    ReplyDelete

thank you for stopping by! grazie della visita!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...